Saturday, December 5, 2009

Still here...

Not really sure what to title the post today...other than we are still here.  Jeff headed out Friday night to Kyiv and flew home Saturday, so Julie and I are left to finish things up.  We had a new arrival to our routine - Anya (who is going to travel with the children coming in December) arrived late Friday night and it was nice to have someone new to talk to and have new conversations! 

Julie had to go to the notary on Saturday and since we were going to get to the orphanage late, we got some kalbasa, cheese, ham, bread, drinks and fruit to take to the orphanage and had somewhat of a picnic with the kids.  When we first got there, we had all the kids coming to Indiana later this month in and all the ones that had been this past summer in a small room - probably not more than a 10x10 room.  Picture 3 adults and about 12 kids in a very small room - with a table and alot of chairs.  Can you spell claustrophobia??? 

At first it got off to a bit of a rocky start - Vadym (who now wants me to call him Griffan :) was NOT happy about having all the kids in the room, there are a couple of kids that want to be in the room that he doesn't like.  He began to pout and not make a very good impression on Anya!  Not a proud mom at that point - so I took him outside the room and had Anya tell him he needed to behave.  I assured him I was HIS mom forever and that out of all the kids in that room I loved HIM!  I told him he would soon be leaving the orphanage forever and that the children in the room were still going to be there and that I wanted to get to know them and maybe help them also find a forever family.  He listened and apologized and I gave him a hug and kisses (which I love that he lets me and seems to love it!).  He came in and was a good boy the rest of the time - even told Anya he was sorry he got off on the wrong foot.  I guess now that he has a mom and dad he wants to hold on tight.

We had a type of interview session with the kids - what do they like to do, their favorite colors, favorite foods, and asked if they had any questions about coming to America.  It was alot of fun as the kids shared!  I don't think any of them will be frightened coming - they are all anxious about it and looking forward to the adventure!  All the kids wanted to know about their families - and that was hard..........I have one little 11yo girl who is so sweet and so beautiful (she has 2 sisters and 1 brother) that was asking about what "her" host family was like....I don't have one for her yet (and she is one of my favorites!) and I felt so bad...If you know anyone who would even consider the thought of 4 kids (ages 11,10,9,7) please let me know!  They are wonderful kids - all of them. 

Today is like the others - getting up early enough to try to catch the water on and waiting to go to the orphanage.  Coming back and trying to figure out what to do until bedtime.  At least we can enjoy Anya while she is here - she leaves tomorrow and Lena arrives.  So again - new conversation and a break in the monotony.  Also - Julie's daughter Alyona's older sister is here to visit a few days (which makes Julie feel better too).

Julie will have her 2nd court on Tuesday - please pray it will go well for her.  I had told her I would stay with her if she wanted me to and she doesn't.  I will not leave her alone though - we will make sure someone is with her the last few days.  I leave on the 19th (which is a Saturday) and on Monday Julie will hit the road running with Victor to get all her paperwork for the visa.  We are praying that Julie will make it home on Christmas eve.......please pray with us that she will get her Christmas miracle too.

I wish I could make the process smooth for everyone.....I wish there would be no Ukrainian or Italian couples to compete with, no officials who are trying to make a point, no judge that has the desire to wield their power, an adoption authority that was consistent, a country that would understand the why behind what we are doing, no delays, no stress, no pain........but unfortunately I can't...all I can do is to try to encourage and guide families along the way and trust that God ultimately knows best.  There are days that my job is such a burden ... but then I spend time with the children...so beautiful, so wonderful, so in need of love, so worth all the struggle, stress, and pain that a family goes through and the burden of the job.

Helping these precious children is so worth the cost.........I wish I could help everyone understand that.  Please pray that God would continue opening that door to help these children, that God would stir hearts of families to open their lives up to them, God's provision for each family, that each family would trust God to lead them to the child He knows is best for them and the strength for all of us to get through the rough patches in the process.  All for God's glory.....

2 comments:

  1. Amen. That is what I say Lydia! Molly :) Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All for God's glory

    I've enjoyed catching up with you and hearing that everything is going smoothly to bring your son home! :) I am praying for Julie as well!

    We enjoyed a wonderful evening Saturday night at the McClain's benefit concert. Such a joy to see God's people come together to support them in doing His will!! I know they are anxious to have their boy home too.

    Keep pouring your heart into those children, Lydia. Keep praying that God would work in the hearts of His people. God is faithful. He is working in you and through you.

    Grace and Peace,
    Angel

    P.S. I finally started reading Crazy Love. So challenging; so excellent!

    ReplyDelete